Thursday, November 13, 2014

A Post About Opinions...

So, it was brought to my attention that some women have stopped patronizing Garlands of Grace due to the ladies Anti-Catholic and Anti-LDS comments.

As you can probably tell, I'm extremely pluralistic in my attitude. I have friends that are Catholic, Protestant, LDS, Orthodox, Jewish (Reform, Conservative, Traditional, Orthodox, Hassidic, Messianic), Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, Buddhist, and a whole bunch of other religious paths too long to list.

I love my friends, and I love that our faith in a power higher than ourselves brings us together. I love that we love good and reject evil. I don't mind that we disagree on the details.

I am disappointed that a business would feel the need to bring, what basically constitutes as religious politics (additionally, I'm fully aware they have brought actual politics up as well) in what I feel is an inappropriate forum.

That being said, I will not boycott them, or refuse to promote them. The reason being that I feel that doing so would also be bringing politics into play. I like their products. I will purchase their products. If you also like their products, you may also choose to purchase them. Or you may not. That's totally cool too.

In Matthew 7:1-2 it is written: "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged." 

The Talmud states: "In righteousness shall you judge your fellow" (Shavuot 30a)


And the Quran states: "O you who have believed, let not a people ridicule [another] people; perhaps they may be better than them; nor let women ridicule [other] women; perhaps they may be better than them. And do not insult on another and do not call each other by [offensive] nicknames. Wretched is the name of disobedience after [one's] faith. And whoever does not repent - then it is those who are the wrongdoers." (49:11)


That means not looking down on people you think are sinning. It also means not looking down on people who judge others. 

Regardless of whether they are ultimately correct or not, they needlessly embarrassed and hurt others. But you know what? I forgive them. Moving on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment